Dr Ingvar Stål
Dr Stål is ILETS International Adviser on Interdisciplinary Science Curricula in schools.
- Humanistic science teaching
- Interdisciplinary approaches to educational systems
- Educational philosophy, including constructivism
- Theory of curriculum design
- Student-centered teaching and teachers’ transition
- Implementation of modern technologies into teaching processes
- Cooperative and collaborative learning
- Comparative didactics
- Highly motivated and Gifted students
- Action Research
I am a researcher, professional teacher, educator and philosopher.
I have developed, conducted and managed research in the field of Humanistic Science Teaching, using a Scientific Inquiry approach – nationally and internationally. I have presented research findings at high profile international conferences, seminars and meetings. Currently I am working and researching at ILETS within theme ’Humanistic and Scientific Inquiry Oriented (HSIO) Methods as a Tool to Support Junior High School Students’ Learning Processes’.
I have worked as a teacher in many international contexts. During the past 14 years I have been Head of Science at Botby Junior High School in Helsinki, Finland. To ensure that my own students receive the highest quality education I have successfully implemented the findings of my research in teaching and learning processes. I have developed an innovative model of teaching Science, known as the HSIO model. The model has been endorsed by many leading scientists worldwide. It is based on student-centered facilitation.
From the beginning of August, 2013 I will be educational developer and science teacher at the Metropolitan International School (MIS) in Viernheim, Germany. I also carry out work at Åbo Akademi University (School Resources) as a project coordinator in order to engage science teachers in new training programmes. These include: ‘Discovery and Technology’, ‘Gifted Children’, and ‘School Sciences and Modern Technology’.
I am member of the
- European Society for the Systematic Innovation of Education.
- International Association for Technology, Education and Development – (member of the International Scientific Advisory Board)
- International Organisation for Gifted Children “GLUON” (Russia) – (Gifted children)
I have engaged as a resource person at the Educators Professional Development Department: “Professional Development for Teachers, by Teachers” (USA).
I am engaged as an expert in the field of interdisciplinary science at the Finnish Educational Board in order to develop the new Finnish National Curriculum in Physics for Junior high schools. This will be implemented in 2015.
Technology Industries of Finland Centennial Foundation, Vetenskaps- och teknologiprogrammet UPPTEK (Discovery&Technology) i grundskolan (The Science and Technology program at Junior high-school),(2009-2011).
Swedish Academy of Engineering in Finland (STV i Finland), “The modern technology and UPPTEK (Discovery&Technology)” project, (2009-2010).
The Finnish Educational Board, “Gifted students and Discovery &Technology program”, (2012-2015).